Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crop Suey!!!!

I don't think I posted this yet, but I found out a few weeks ago that I made another DT for Crop Suey.  There is a blog and a Ning community for Crop Suey.  On both, there are some GREAT video tutorials of different types of crafty stuff, which is why I really loved the site.


There are two challenges a month, and you are eligible for a prize for entering one or both of the challenges.  This months prize is some goodies from BoBunny:



The theme for the frist challenge is "Friendship".  The DT had to create any project with the theme, so I wanted to do something different.  I don't know where I got this idea, but I wanted to make a little calendar with all kinds or quotes about "friends".  I asked around on some forums for some ways to complete the phrase "A friend is...".  I got a lot of great responses! 

So I put together this reusable mini desk calendar. There are 31 days and the 12 months tags. Each day has a different way to complete the “friend” saying. I created the sayings and the other words in photoshop, but then I copied them into a word document to make them easier to print out. I am also going to share this file with you!!! You can get the 31 friend sayings with the colored scalloped borders plus the month and “A Friend” tags by clicking here.






Now here are some simple instructions for this project:

You will first need to cut out the sayings and the months. Each saying should be about 3x3, the months are 1x3. NOTE: the Word document is NOT lined up perfect, so you are going to have to measure and trim in a few places.



You will need 2 pieces of chipboard and 4 pieces of patterened paper, all 4x6, for the front and back covers. Then you will need 31 squares of patterned paper (2 sided is best)  measuring 3 ½ x 3 ½ for the days, and 12 pieces of patterned paper measuring 1 ½ x 3 ½ for the months.





Cover your chipboard covers front and back the 4x6 papers adn ink the edges. Attach the 31 day sayings to the 31 pieces of 3 1/3 x 3 1/2 patterned paper, and attach the month labels to the 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 patterned papers.  Glue the "A Friend..." on one of the chipboard covers all the way to the left side, leaving some margins.

The trickiest part about this was punching the holes the right size with the BIA.  I punched 10 holes total: 3 for the month tabs, and 7 on the days.  You will notice that I didn't punch all the way to the end of the chipboard pieces, but I wish I had so that I could have tied some ribbon or something to the rings above where it says "A friend.."  I would also suggest using larger ring sizes to accomodate for the bulkiness of the 31 day tags.




Finally I attached some ric rac around the bottom edge and attached the covers to each other with some ric rac as well so that it will stand on the table and not fall open.


Well I hope you like this calendar and enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Audra said...

loooove your work!! you are s0o0o creative!!

Shazza said...

Congrats on winning the hop! You did a great job of all your blog stop hops for scrap that poetry :)

Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog aswell during the hops... I'm still to draw my winner. good luck

cheers
Shazza

Jocelyn said...

Love this mini you did a Fabulous Job!!!! We are on different teams...but I adore your work!!!

Have a great week!!!