Friday, March 15, 2013

Photo Alterations...Inspriation Elevator

You may recall that the purpose of the Inspiration Elevator challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges on my blog by clicking HERE.

CHALLENGE:
This month, our challenge comes from the very sweet and very talented Joanne Burton. Joanne resides in Waterloo and co-owns a scrapbook store there with her bff. Her scrapbooking style is classicly elegant and always showcases wonderful photos. It's no wonder that her challenge to is centered around the photo - here is the challenge, in Joanne's own words:

Inspiration Elevator has been such a tremendous experience for me! We have explored our style, stretched our single pages into two, documented our fears and regrets, scrapbooked our beliefs, worked with less than perfect photos and have even gone vintage! Hopefully we have each grown as a result of being a part of this group – I know I have! 

One of the fun things about scrapbooking is working with our photos. We get to pick and choose our favorite photos and have fun recording the memories behind them. So this month, I thought we could stretch our creativity by having some fun with our photos!

I assume we all work with digital photos, so this month’s challenge will work for each of you. I want you to pick a photo and then alter it in some way using your favorite photo editing program. I would like to see something more than just making your photo black & white. Maybe use a special effect, add a frame, play with text, etc. There is so much you can do!

Play with your photo until it conveys a particular look or feel that will help you to express your memories associated with that picture. Then add it to your page! When you post your finished project, please share how you altered your photo, and why you chose the effects you did. (Maybe you could even post a before and after of your photo!)

My Take:

I came across this free photo overlay for Photoshop when someone posted it on Facebook.  I have never worked with overlays before, but followed the directions (and watched a few YouTube videos) and I enjoyed playing with it a bit.  You can find the heart overlay HERE (its free!) from Somewhat Simple.  I had just chosen a recent photo, and wasn't intending on using it, but after playing with it a bit, I like the way it turned out and decided to use it!

Charlotte sometimes gets my point and shoot out and starts taking photos of everything.  We got this great little shot of the three of us.  But as SOON as I get behind the camera, they disappear and won't look at it!  :)

I just got a huge stash of Fancy Pants papers from My Scraps & More.  This is the "Trendsetter" collection.  I love this color combo of navy aqua and pink that has been showing up everywhere (Crate Maggie Holmes, AC Dear Lizzy, Glitz Uncharted Waters) I cut apart all the tags from one of the patterned papers and layered them to create a mat for my photo.  On a few of them I added some Navy twine. Directly behind my photo, I used some light blue vellum (which I found in a clearance bin at AC Moore for like 10 cents!)



On my background, I heat embossed some doily stamps in white and splattered some navy and pink ink.
Another little cluster of some tags, a badge, chipboard, and a button near my title area.



Thank you for stopping by today!

I hope you will stop by and see what the designers on this adventure have created:

Lisa Spiegel

Stay Scrappy My Friends!

11 comments:

Laurel said...

Awesome layout! Love the new paper and your use of tags!

Tracey said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Audrey!!

Cathy said...

love, love, love all the tags! So fun...I am going to have to check out those tutorials of you tube...eaxatly what I wanted to do! Just too scattered with the move and puppy to even attempt it!

Joanne said...

Wow - so impressed Audrey! I love the photo editing you used - so awesome! Plus I love the all the tags and your journaling cluster! And all the stitching and splattering that makes the layout you!
Joanne xo

Lisa Spiegel said...

Love the layering, what you did with the photo..and the TAGS!!!!

Diana Waite said...

seriously LOVING the layered tags--AWESOME!!

Sue Sykes said...

This is so terrific, Audrey!! Love the tag matting and the little bits of flair! gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the way you layered those tags!!!

Ann said...

I love the way you built that big mat with the tags, and your heat embossed background is lovely. Great effect on the photo, too!
- Ann Jobes
www.lovestnpaper.com

Christa said...

YOur tags are fabulous. You have such a way of making these every day items sit up and sing a new song.I love the visual interest of the whole thing..I am also ashamed to admit that I love seeing your layouts...as you know..I'm a huge fan. xo

Tamika said...

Love what you did with your photo! I like the layout lots too your ability to layer with some awesome items amazes me!!!